Monday, January 13, 2014

Second Homework Assignment


Wysocki's article tries to get several points across. I think he doesn’t like how people think our ways of communication are set in stone. He wants us to challenge how we perceive forms of communication and where and why they became that way. In a way I think Wysocki is promoting people to be more creative in their way of thinking. Wysocki's purpose is made clear when he states "it is always worth asking how our materials have acquired the constraints they have". I agree with the points he's making through out the article. I think it is always a good thing when people think out side the box and really try to challenge why things are certain ways. When people become accustomed to how things are and don’t question it then I don’t think it leaves much room personal growth. When I was little I remember I would hold my fork a different way then most people and my parents would get upset at me for it. I would argue with them and ask who determined what the correct way to eat was. I found it ridiculous that there were even constraints on how people ate their own food. This is a point I find relatable to what Wysocki is trying say. Wysocki’s and Daley’s arguments are pretty similar. One of Daley’s four points is that “The multimedia language of the screen enables modes of thought, ways of communicating”. They both promote enabling different modes of thought through communication. The major difference is that Daley is focusing more on a digital screen and Wysocki is focusing more on all types of communication. I like Wysocki’s argument better even though I do “believe” Daley as well. Wysocki is able to use better examples like when he talks about the constraints of water and stones. Both authors are trying to get people to stray from a fixed way of thinking. 

Word Count : 320

No comments:

Post a Comment