Tuesday, January 7, 2014

First Homework Assignment


Writing has always been one of my weakest points academically. Although, whenever I am actually able to convey my thoughts through writing, I find it very rewarding.  The problem I always have with writing is that I’m not able to get my point across as well as I would be able to by just talking. I really don’t consider myself to be even a decent writer so I really hope this course can change that. My top goal is to be able to write and get my point across just as well as I would be able to do in person. Once I accomplish this, I feel like it can help me with many aspects in life.
My hope is that once I get better at writing my speaking skills will improve as well. I love debating with people about different points of view so I’m really hoping becoming a better writer will make me better at doing so. My biggest weakness is that I tend to repeat myself a lot and my writing is always short and to the point. Whenever I have to write a research paper I have a really hard time writing enough to get to the minimum amount of words required. I’ve over heard some students ask if they can write more then maximum amount of words, which is a question I hope to ask one day. As far are strengths go, I can’t really name any. Hopefully after this course my strengths as a writer will be clear. Another one of my weaknesses is that my writing is pretty dull and I don’t think when teachers read my papers that they want to finish reading it because they want to, but because they have to grade it. I think that working on things like sentence structure and vocabulary can really help me write a paper that someone would want to read. As of now, writing doesn’t really serve any purpose in my life. I know that many people use writing as a creative outlet and its something they do on their spare time, which baffles me. Hopefully after this course I can understand where people like this are coming from. I don’t even like when my friends or parents want read my papers because I’m not happy with how I write. After this course I want to be proud to show how well I can put my thoughts on to paper.
The things I want most out of this class are to be able to call myself a good writer. The chance for my peers to read and give me feedback on everything I’m writing will really benefit me. I don’t want to be scared when I see a 4,000 word paper assigned. I want to be excited to write and show that I can get my point across and do it well. 

1 comment:

  1. Alex,

    I really appreciate your openness and honesty in this post. Sometimes, it is difficult to find purpose for writing, but I bet writing does serve you some ways. Do you text? Email? Use the social network? Do you make lists or keep a journal? Also, what would it mean for you to be a "good writer"? What does that look like? Don't forget your tags and your word count in your posts.

    ReplyDelete